Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sail -- by James Patterson



So I decided to read back-to-back  James Patterson stories.  This book was very enjoyable and, as I do most of his books, I recommend it.  When reading it, however, I must admit to feeling somewhat conflicted about it.  At times it felt too predictable, but then something unexpected would happen to pull me back in.

The story is about a wealthy widow, who with a career as a doctor, does not have the relationship with her children that she wants.  They are taking a sailing vacation, with her brother-in-law Jake, as a desperate attempt to save the family.  She has the seemingly perfect and supportive husband, who is not taking the trip with them.  After embarking on the trip, seemingly terrible luck puts the family in precarious situations but ultimately draws them closer together.  There is more than coincidence, however, behind all of their misfortune.

For me, this was an enjoyable read.  This type of story is probably my favorite genre.  While I might not consider this book one of my all time favorites, I certainly don't regret spending the time to read it.  In some sense, however, I appreciated it more retrospectively, after completing it, than while in the middle of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment