Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Monkey's Raincoat - by Robert Crais



I am a fan of Robert Crais and, especially, his Elvis Cole/Joe Pike novels.  Therefore, when I saw "The Monkey's Raincoat," (the very first of the series) at the library, I had to read it.  In this installment, Cole is hired by a seemingly helpless wife to find her missing husband and son.  Things quickly get complicated and the story is fairly fast paced and action packed.

I'm not sure if it is because the book is dated (published in 1987) or if it is because I am being introduced to Elvis and Joe after knowledge of them as more fully developed characters in later stories, but I did not enjoy this as much as many other Crais works.  It won the Anthony and Macavity awards and was nominated for the Edgar and Shamus awards.  The story was engaging.  I didn't find Elvis and Joe as interesting and likable, however, as I usually do.

All said, I wasn't blown away, but I'm glad I read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment